Thursday, June 7, 2012

College starts tomorrow.


For all those of you living outside India, college over here is 11th and 12th grade.

I’m going to college. But I’m like “Really? Am I that old? I definitely don’t feel it.”

Anyway, the name of my college is ‘Delta’. It’s near nallakunta. (There you go, FBI, you now know exactly where my college is. Don’t bother googling it). I’m enrolled in their IIT program and also their junior college. (i.e 11th and 12th).

I chose it over a few other options and well, I’m pretty happy with my choice. Only time will tell whether I made the right choice or not. It’s not like I had better options on my plate. MUWCI looked cooler but I didn’t make it (damn. I still do think about it sometimes but as the old adage goes, ‘things were meant to be this way’)

 “You are now undergoing a transition. After the next few years, you will no longer be a school student anymore. You’ll be going to college. College isn’t anything like school. There will be no one to tell you what to do. The teachers won’t really be interested in you, they won’t keep telling you to do your homework nor will they punish you for not doing it. Hence, you need to start working on your own. There will be no one to tell you to do your work. Unless you do it by yourself, you’re doomed.” That was what I, the whole class actually, was told by a teacher at the IIT foundation institute I attended a few years ago. They aren’t his exact words but pretty much what I remember him telling us.

I’m looking forward to the ‘freedom’ that I’ll get in college. Other than that, I have no idea what to expect. I just hope I can learn something, meet some interesting people and make a few friends and just live basically. I do not want college to be something I labored through and loathe.

 Did I mention that I attended a 10 day course in reasoning a month back?

I got a good vibe from the college then. The teachers were pretty cool and knew how to teach. My class mates were pretty interesting people (other than the usual hwej :P ).

There’s one thing that I’m not a big fan of though. The classrooms are lit with 100% artificial light. It might be better but it’s not natural light. In my school, it was 100% natural light. We had tube-lights but never used them because the windows were so huge. The ventilation was great. Ah. I’m kind of missing it already.

Until next time,

Adarsh.

PS : I also got a look at their high school. I absolutely loathed it. No, seriously. That isn’t what a school is supposed to be like. No matter how good the teachers are, a school is a school. Not look like some prison cell with dull lighting, stuffy rooms, fans that are so high up that you don’t even feel the force of the air. I’d go crazy within a week. I’m amazed that children even go there.

And yeah, I forgot to mention one thing. While walking through the corridor to my room, I felt like I was a criminal walking towards the interrogation room. The interrogation room wasn’t that bad though :P

3 comments:

  1. Hey Adarsh,

    You're right, college isn't like regular grade school at all. You'll have all the independence in the world and your success or failures will depend on your own work and efforts.

    Best of wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Bots are getting better. Or, are you a real human trying to build up backlinks?

      Delete
  2. College is the same over here, except it's FROM Grade 12. So in England we have Year 12 and 13 :D

    I'm looking forward to college too, I start in September 2013 :3 Such freedom awaits!

    ReplyDelete