Thursday, May 17, 2012

In my last post here..




            In my last post here, I wrote about how I was feeling all stressed up because of the hectic studying for the past few months.
Come to think of it, I think ‘frustrated’ is the better word to explain what I was feeling then.. I was frustrated, not stressed.
I just wanted to clear that up.

“What you do today is important because you are exchanging an entire day of your life for it.”

^ That quote from marcandangel.com really shook me up. I contemplated for a second over it and realized that I am whiling all my time away. The frustration in my head disappeared that very moment.

I think it’s time I got my act together and actually make something out of these holidays that I’ve been bestowed with. (lol. Okay, I don’t really know why but I had to use that word.)

Remember what I wrote about leaving Dota on the 5th of May, well, I ended up playing it until yesterday night. After I had to leave a game midway due to my internet getting disconnected, I had some time to contemplate on what was happening. Just then, I realized that the time that I was spending playing Dota wasn’t in proportion to the enjoyment that I was getting out of it. It felt like a economic principle that I’m sure exists. When something out grows its use, you have to let go. For example, after the intial years of mining in the cave, your profit will keep reducing due to higher production costs and lessened quality of the mineral that you are mining. That’s the time when you should leave that mine and hop onto something else.

That pretty much what happened in my case. When I first started out playing Dota on 28th of the previous month, I was totally engrossed in it. I hadn’t played a single video game in the past one year (other than 2 days at GameOn and once in a quarter-year miniclip games). But as time passed, the mining (playing) became monotonous and due to frequent breaking down of the machines (i.e my internet connection), I got frustrated as it was affecting the profits (measured in enjoyment) that I was getting. As some more time passed, the mining itself was giving me lessened quality of coal and that caused the total profits to dip precariously. Yesterday, after another machine break down, I came to a conclusion that mining enjoyment by dota wasn’t an option anymore. It just wasn’t profitable enough.

 So I decided that it was time that shut down the mine the next day and move on. That’s exactly what I did.
I uninstalled the game today but I kept the setup file (just in case any of my friends want it and I didn’t want to go through the hell that I went for downloading it once again).

Enough of dota for now, I have spent enough time on it to last me for another year.

Until next time,
Adarsh.

No comments:

Post a Comment