Friday, December 30, 2011

Khan Academy






                I’ve been spending a lot of time on the Khan Academy lately. I thought it deserves a mention on my blog so, here it goes.

                If you have no idea what the Khan Academy is, well, it is basically an online school. It has more than 2700 videos on subjects covering Math, Science, Humanities and others. If you want to know more about it, check this link à http://www.khanacademy.org

                                Anyways, here’s how I came to know about it.

At around the same time as I found about MIT’s open courseware, a friend of mine told me “Hey dude, check out Khan Academy on youtube. The videos are awesome.” I just brushed him off telling him that nothing can parallel OCW. However, curiosity got the better of me and I googled for the Khan Academy. I wasn’t really impressed at first glance. I mean, the videos looked boring. Just some doodles on a black screen. I didn’t really give it a second thought.

                Some time later, I found out that the founder of Khan Academy was an MIT alumnus. That was enough. I instantly googled “Khan Academy” and to be honest, I was bowled over. The website design was pretty cool and that caught my eye. I thought to myself “So, he’s a professional eh? Cool.”

                Some of the first videos I watched totally immersed me and I understood stuff at first glance that seemed like greek at school. I read his ‘About’ page and watched him speak about the Khan Academy on TED. I must say, I was amazed.

                That ‘amazement’ didn’t last for long though. I completely forgot about it after a week or two. However, a few days back, my winter break started. I was feeling bored when suddenly, I remembered the Khan Academy. I was glued to my screen for the next 1 ½ hour. My mind switched to warp speed to help me in calculating stuff.

                I started with the easy-peasy kiddo stuff. I decided that I’ll start from the very top of the exercise chart and work my way through.

5 days later,

.

My energy counter reads 351,880. I’ve got 125 meteorite badges, 20 moon badges, 2 Earth badges, a Sun badge and two challenge patches.

                It didn’t really take much time for me to get all those stuff. Around 6 1/2 hours spread over the past 4-5 days.

                The reason for me writing this post is to get the word out there that something as awesome as the “Khan Academy” exists and also, I wanted to keep a check on my progress.

                If you are ‘motivated’ to learn, you should go check the website out. It’s pretty awesome. 

Anyways, I’ll be posting another such post detailing my progress monthly. I do a lot-lot more work when I know that I’m accountable to someone.

Until next time,

Adarsh! 

No comments:

Post a Comment