Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The whole story of the 'Money-Quiz'



          So, the other day(last week actually) I was reading the Young World, a children’s weekly of the daily The Hindu.

I was just browsing through it when I saw something which read ‘Money Quiz’. "That’s interesting," I thought. After reading through that, I decided to send them an answer as it had something to do with writing and I was all in for it.

          I sent them an answer.Well, I was excited for sure as I had written it quite well and, to be very honest, I was indeed expecting a prize(Sigh.)

The first time I visited their website to view the results, my heart was beating so fast you know. I was like “WTF. Calm down. It’s just some random quiz!” My heart didn’t listen, it thudded on. 10 minutes later, it was apparent that they didn’t release the results yet so, it calmed down.

They later stated that they’d announce the results on 12th October. Today was that day.

I was watching ‘The Social Network’ on Sony Pix when I suddenly realized that today was the 12th of October and those results would be announced. Well, I was too lazy to switch on my laptop so, I decided to view their website on my iPod Touch.

I soon typed out the address in the address bar and clicked ‘go’. Their website came up and I clicked ‘View the results here’ button. There were four names, I skimmed through them hopefully. Once, Twice. It became apparent that my name was not there, ‘Great’ I thought.

Well, there was another button which said ‘View the list of other satisfactory answers’. Now, even if I didn’t win, I was damn sure that my answer was at least satisfactory. So, I started skimming through the names. 10 down, 25 down, 50 down, 100 down, I was starting to think that my name wasn’t going to feature there. But, I went on searching. Then, at number 155, my face lit up. It read ‘S. Adarsh Rao’. Well, they said ‘other satisfactory answers’ but I knew better. I looked up to the address bar and it read ‘List-of-other-participants’. Lol. I guess they wanted to be in everyone’s good books. But, I know better.

To be very honest, surprisingly, I didn’t mind that they didn’t choose my answer. That’s because, they posted the winning answer. Well, after reading that, I was like ‘Lol!’

It became so apparent as to why they didn’t choose my answer. The winning answer was so polished you know, like marble. It was so very formal and right to the point. They were looking for that kind of answers while I wrote an ‘informal’ unpolished answer. It was like a rough diamond. Sadly, they looked over it but I didn’t mind. The early man didn’t know the use of a rough diamond. Lol.

Without further adue, I’ll post the question and my answer.

Here’s he question.
“ Have you seen this coin? The 25 paise coin was taken out of circulation a few months ago. What happened to the prices that totaled by 0.25 or 0.75 rupees? How did they change? Can you think of one reason why it was taken out of circulation?”

Well, here’s my reply.

  I have indeed seen 25 paise coins in my life as a 14 year old and, I consider myself lucky. However, the fact that something so shiny could be 24 years older than me still manages to beat me.

 My parents sometimes reminisce about the past. On one such occasion, they told me that when they were children, a single rupee had a very high value. In fact, 50 paise could buy them vegetable supplies for a month. I was awestruck. How could 50 paise get you vegetable supplies for a month? I don’t even get a ‘center fresh’ for that price. Through this new found knowledge, I assumed that almost everyone was millionaire in those days.
 My parents sometimes reminisce about the past. On one such occasion, they told me that when they were children, a single rupee had a very high value. In fact, 50 paise could buy them vegetable supplies for a month. I was awestruck. How could 50 paise get you vegetable supplies for a month? I don’t even get a ‘center fresh’ for that price. Through this new found knowledge, I assumed that almost everyone was millionaire in those days. 
  It was only later that I got to know that people didn’t earn as much money as they do today. So, basically, the prices were low and the salary was low as well. “That evens out” I thought.

At the time of the independence and before it, a single rupee had lot of value. The government had to introduce lower forms of currency. But, soon as India started progressing/developing, the amount of money that the people earned grew. The prices should remain the same shouldn’t they? But, something called inflation sees to that the prices rise as well. Why? You may ask. Well, the answer is that everything money-related is an inter-connected web. It’s like proportionality in mathematics. As one rises, the other rises as well.
At the time of the independence and before it, a single rupee had lot of value. The government had to introduce lower forms of currency. But, soon as India started progressing/developing, the amount of money that the people earned grew. The prices should remain the same shouldn’t they? But, something called inflation sees to that the prices rise as well. Why? You may ask. Well, the answer is that everything money-related is an inter-connected web. It’s like proportionality in mathematics. As one rises, the other rises as well. Don’t ask me what happens when one of them decreases because apparently, they can never decrease. They can only increase. That’s something I haven’t quite figured out yet.
 Anyways, the prices of commodities started rising as well keeping up with the salaries of the people. The government had to introduce new currency notes to keep up with this change. This was done to avoid inconvenience.
An example for this is – A bag of rice costs 1 rupee in the early days. But, now, it costs around 25 rupees. We pay the shop keeper 2 ten rupee notes and a 5 rupee coin. Those are the new currencies, we couldn’t possible give him twenty-five 1 rupee coins. We could but, who’s going to carry coins of one rupee around.
 So, as the inflation rose/time progressed, the government had to introduce new currency notes so that exchange of money could be made easier.
Today, it has risen to such an extent that you don’t even get a chocolate/mint for 25 paise. Therefore, the coin lost its value. Hence the government decided to scrap it as it couldn’t possibly be used to buy things anymore. 
Actually, if things go like this for the next 2-3 decades, 1 rupee may become the next 25 paise.
And, guess what? As I was writing this, I saw red squiggly lines underneath the word ‘paise’ everytime I typed it. See, even Microsoft word knows that it will soon become extinct and doesn’t even bother to let the Generation Z know that something of that denomination even existed. 

If you’ve read through that, you can see how informal it was. I wrote it like I was telling the answer out loud. Here’s the link where you can read the winning answer ‘http://www.money-wizards.com/results-of-the-hindu-young-world-money.php

That’s right. A 131 word answer won the prize and they over looked my 500+ word answer. Sigh, life’s like that. But, it didn’t matter because I had fun writing it and sending them my answer.  And also, my answer didn’t contain much content. I just wrote it in a (dare I say) nice manner.

So, at the end of the day, I had the last laugh ( I always do :P)

Until Next time,

Adarsh.

No comments:

Post a Comment